Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Faces

Great, there is a crap load of traffic. It’s Tuesday. Shouldn’t people have the day off today, it’s inauguration day. Shit it’s already 8:30 and I’m barely off the freeway. 8:45, why is the street closed off…ugh shit. Oh my god look at all the people. Duh, why didn’t I think of the fact that they could possibly show the inauguration on the LA LIVE screens? Hello that is a perfect way to get people down here. Wow look at all the people waving the American flag.

When I was in high school, my theatre teacher told the class an amazing story that I will never forget. A mother took her child to the theatre for the first time to see a TYA (theatre for young audiences) show. She told the child to sit still, be quiet, and watch. What she forgot to specify was the fact that her child needed to watch the SHOW. She looked over at her child half way through the show and noticed that they were watching the audience and not the show. After the show, her child was amazed at the audience members and their reactions.

I was that kid today. I watched the crowd more than I watched Obama’s speech. I have no idea what he said. All I know is that the audience had the most amazing reactions. Some were crying, some were smiling, and some were completely glowing. I will never forget the way the crowd came together today and the looks on all of their faces. I was so happy to be out in the crowd just to see the faces of everyone around me.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Something that I've been sorely lacking these past eight years is inspiration. I think this new administration will bring some of that passion back for me, and apparently for a few other people as well.

This was the perfect analogy for the day. It's not just about Obama, it's more about how he's affecting the people. And what a way to experience this moment: as the kid watching the audience. Wow.