Saturday, June 6, 2009

When In Rain

I have never been a huge fan of the rain. Everything was always really difficult when it rained. Walking to and from class wasn’t fun because you would get wet. You would have to dodge all the puddles. You couldn’t sit on the grass and soak up the sun. Traffic would be horrible because for some reason people freak out when it begins to rain and drive like morons. Everything would get wet. You would throw your wet umbrella in the back of the car getting the entire back seat wet. The weather is always cold when it rains unless you live in Hawaii or something. Soccer games were always cancelled. If it started raining during a soccer game, the ball would be impossible to kick because it would be wet and slippery. Mud gets everywhere. Plus running in the rain is not an easy task. I just have always had so many reasons to dislike the rain.

Recently, I have come to a new appreciation for the rain. After it rains, the sky looks amazing. While it rains, you can curl up and watch a movie on the couch with your friends or someone you love. Turning on the fireplace is always a plus. The way rain smells is very interesting. It has a distinct smell that I can’t even begin to put into words. Driving to work in the rain doesn’t bother me for some reason. I like to sit in the traffic and hear the rain hitting my car.

I think my new appreciation comes from the fact that my life has changed. I don’t have to walk to and from class anymore. Soccer only occurs on Sundays now. I work indoors all day. I have to endure traffic anyway so why not endure it in the rain while I listen to my favorite band. I never understood why my brother and mom loved the rain so much. Now I know.

I am still one who loves the sun and can never get enough. But if it were to rain once in a while, I wouldn’t mind so much anymore.

No comments: